Friday, October 5, 2007

And Then Came Photography...

I have always been interested in photography from high school as an art form, but at that time only guys from more affluent families could afford cameras. By the time I made it to college at age 17, my older brother Carl gave me my first fully manual SLR camera, the world renown Pentax K1000 for beginners. That camera was awesome! We became one! We went everywhere! And yes it got me way popular with the ladies...

The camera helped alot with finances during college; I did portraits, covered events... made a little money on the side. I became president of the Photo Club on campus, got me some experience in the darkroom, developing black & white film and making some pretty decent prints for exhibition. Funny thing is, I didn't do a lot of creative photography, and for years I shot weddings for friends and family, and did Portrait Packages for schools. In 2000, I had 2 Canon EOS Rebels (film) and studio lighting that all malfunctioned at the same time. Maybe the Y2K bug! That year I took leave of photography and worked with an Advertising Agency as a Graphic Designer. 

In 2006, I could afford to purchase the Nikon D200 which is currently my workhorse. I now have a renewed passion for the art of photography, and the digital age has made the physical darkroom a thing of the past (to a large extent as Photoshop, Lightroom and Aperture have replaced it). As I said in a previous post, I am now exploring the beauty in not just people, but in everything around me. The small inconspicuous things that we tend to overlook, and magnify them so that many others can appreciate their beauty as well.


I have created a pretty basic site (SalfricoPhotography.Com) that shows the first set of images after buying my camera. I call it Chapter 1. Chapter 2 will take a much more creative twist, hence its slow and tedious in coming. This blog however will be more expressive, as I will only post photos that really intrigue me, for whatever reason, and I will be able to comment on them and give technical insights. So keep watching my blog as it develops...

No comments: